Thursday, February 19, 2009

Aftermath of quitting


The Wall is amazing. There's huge murals and grafitti all over it. I'll post pictures if i can get a cpu that will let me.


On the 20 minute bus ride to Jerusalem from Ramallah, I had an interesting experience. At the checkpoint at the wall, a female soldier came onto the bus and asked for my passport, and told me to turn to the page with the visa. I didn't have a stamp/visa, because I asked not to get one (so i can go to Lebanon and Syria if i want). She asked me where I was from, and what my business was. I told here that I came on a birthright trip.. anyway, then she handed back my passport and said "have a nice day." If i were Palestinian, indiginous to what is now Israel, and I didn't have proper documentation, there's no way I would have gotten through, especially withough being searched. But, having an American passport has its benefits.


5 minutes later, the bus was off to the side of the checkpoint and I got a call on my cellphone. The woman said she was from Israel Phones, my company, and that they had noticed that I had called an "059" number - a call to within the Palestinian Authority - two times. She said she was checking to see whether my phone was stolen, and she wanted to know whether I would make any calls to numbers within the Palestinian Territories again. Violation of privacy?


1 comment: