Thursday, February 19, 2009

Update and a change in plans....

So, I'm back in Tel Aviv. The day after I sent that email I quit (before I started) at StopTheWall. I felt like an asshole for wasting everyone's time. But I had my reasons. First, I'd be confined to Ramallah for 2.5 months, in a cold apartment where the people could be friendlier. Second, I'm not sure I'm in 100% aggreement with the organization (maybe I am, but I don't know it yet), and that's a priority for something I'd donate so much time to. I'm sure they do good work, and it seemed really interesting and like they had a real impact, but it'd bother me knowing that I'm unsure of everything they stand for. For instance, they reject all contact with Israeli civil society and they're against all normalization with Israel. So... I'm not too sure about that... maybe I agree with it afterall. Also, I had some little issues with the environment. Everyone except the 2 other volunteers chainsmoked in the office, and at the flat 1 guy chainsmoked (Kyle knows how I feel about this). Plus, Ramallah isn't such a great place to spend my vacation. So, I'm selfish. But it ain't every day that I that I'm here, in such an interesting neighborhood, with the pyramids and Petra next door. I still plan on going to at least 1 Friday protest (they're weekly) in the West Bank, and I want to do something to challenge Israeli foreign policy, but not something as dramatic as working for StopTheWall. I'm a quitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment